ant-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hodgetts <...@zzyzxtek.com>
Subject Re: build process
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2001 05:25:17 GMT
Conor MacNeill wrote:

 >I am going to revert the build process to the old style in the next few
 >days. This will include the following
 >
 >1. bootstrapping into lib/ant.jar
 >2. building from source
 >3. restoring the version resource
 >
 >I wish to go forward with the following changes
 >
 >1. build/dist are local to ant, not in parent directory
 >2. consolidation of distribution builds.
 >
 >Let me know if you have issues with this. We could revisit the build process
 >after the 1.3 release.

Please do, the new build scripts have me very confused
(under Windows 98).  Maybe I'm just dense or missed some
relevant discussions, but I haven't gotten a clean build
since the change (without making changes to the scripts
locally).

It would also be cool if bootstrap.bat was fixed so the line
terminators work under Windows 98.  Currently (as of the CVS
version 2001-27-01), it has CR/CR/LF (0x0D 0x0D 0x0A) at the
end of each line instead of the standard CR/LF.  This makes
Windows 98 command processor throw all sorts of errors.

Also, and this may just be my misunderstanding, the way that
optional packages are built is still confusing me.  I used to
be able to simply put them all in the classpath and they were
picked up by the build.  Now my shell's classpath is not only
overridden by the build scripts, wiping out the paths to the
optional packages, but the script doesn't restore the original
classpath, leaving the shell in a bad state.  I really need
control over the specific versions of the optional packages
that are used so I can maintain compatibility with our
software, so I prefer that the build does not force me to
use the versions that are shipped with it.  I used to just
delete the shipped-with jars and let the build pick them
up from the classpath.

Is this stuff reasonable, or am I missing some things?

Thanks,
-Paul Hodgetts