ant-dev mailing list archives

From danch <da...@nvisia.com>
Subject Re: long command lines from execon with parallel=true
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:32:25 GMT
Bill Burton wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Mariusz Nowostawski wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Dan Christopherson wrote:
>>
>>> Under ant 1.2 and ant 1.3 I'm using the execon task to fire off a build of
>>> a pile of JSPs (under WinNT). this results in a very long command line
>>> that will not execute.
>>>
>>> I've made a local change to the 1.2 sources to add a 'batch' attribute to
>>> the execon task (telling it how many source files to pass per batch
>>> execution of the command). Should I submit this patch?
>>
>> Sounds all right to me. Some of the underlying executable programs may
>> also expect limited number of arguments, so your patch would make that
>> easier to use as well.
>

> I think it would be preferable to specify the maximum length of the
> command rather than the number of arguments.  Since length of paths can
> vary wildly, there's no guarantee a certain number of arguments won't
> still be too long in some cases.
True. In fact that was my first thought, but the number of arguments was
a lot easier to implement and I was sick of 1/2 hour builds with
parallel=false 8^}). (my haven't I become impatient!)

Although limiting only the length of the command wouldn't help with the
situation Mariusz describes, with an external command only capable of
groking a particular number...