ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Updating myrmidon?
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2001 17:21:32 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:

> Peter Donald wrote:
> >
> > The main thing I have to do is change packages from
> > org.apache.ant to org.apache.myrmidon, right?
>
> Personally, I would like to see the successor of the Ant 1.x series to be
> called....  Ant 2.x.  Myrmidon is still a candidate for replacing Ant,
> right?

I agree ... the fact that myrmidon (and the other proposals) are in specific
proposal subdirectories would seem to be clear enough identification that this
is a "revolution" proposal.

> It is hard to generalize from Catalina.  That codebase was originally
> called Tomcat.Next, but at the time that was deemed presumptuous.  When it
> actually did become Tomcat 4.0, the opportunity was taken to correct a
> problem whereby Tomcat was the name for both the Jakarta subproject and the
> servlet engine.

Yep.  There is "brand identity" around Tomcat = Servlets + JSP, so the servlet
container itself needed a different name (Catalina) for people who wanted to
package it without the JSP stuff (Jasper).

>  (My preference would be that subprojects don't nest, but
> that's another discussion).

> Perhaps it would be appropriate to request a clarification on the general
> mailing list.
>
> > Also regarding building inter-project file DAGs?
>
> If a standard evolves, I would like to track to in my tinderbox builds.
> Have you looked at my definition files?  By virtue of actually attempting
> it on a large scale, there likely are some aspects that are worthy of
> reuse.  But if you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it.
>
> I'd also like any feedback on whether the consensus is that this
> functionallity should be layered on top of Ant, or included in the core.
>
> - Sam Ruby

Craig McClanahan