ant-dev mailing list archives

From David Corbin <dcor...@machturtle.com>
Subject Re: [Suggestion][New Task] Coding Standards / Code 'Beautifier'
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:04:37 GMT
As was mentioned, the code is an integral part of JRefactory.  I have
looked into the source code and corresponded with Chris for several
times in the last 6 weeks about JRefactory.  It does in fact PARSE the
code (using JavaCC), but it is NOT ready for prime-time.   Every time I
try to refactor something (3 so far), I find it won't handle some oddity
in my code the compiler likes fine.  Chris has fixed (well, I haven't
tested it, but he says he has) those bugs that I reported to him.  Chris
is trying to get setup on SourceForge, and one hand I feel he is being
very cooperative, and on the other hand I feel like I'm pulling teeth.
I still do not have all the data files necessary to run the test suites
-- they are not included in the distribution. Having said all that...

I would resist incorporating this tool AT THIS TIME into Ant or into any
Apache process.

Stuart Roebuck wrote:

> This is all helpful feedback.
>
> I *absolutely* agree that a reformatter would have to be *totally* reliable, and not
break code.  It looks like the author is already using junit which is a good sign.  The other
positive aspect of this reformatter is that it is part of a java refactoring suite which means
that (I think) the code actually parses and understands the code to some extent rather than
doing a brain dead bit of ASCII character art!  In my brief uses of it on some of my own code
I was impressed with the result.

> Is is also fairly configurable, so my impression is that it would only change what you
want it to.  jEdit <jedit.sourceforge.net> is very easy to download and run and the
JavaStyle plugin is easy to loadin (look under Plugin Manager).  It's just a case of downloading
the jar and doing a java -jar on it (assuming Java 1.2+).  I would be really appreciative
of any feedback on how well people think the reformater works on real code.  I'm keen on this
idea, but I don't want to invest lots of time on it if the community out there don't think
it is practical or useful.