ant-dev mailing list archives

From Builds-R-Us <kw...@i2.com>
Subject Re: Updated design docs
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2001 14:06:31 GMT
It shouldn't take an hour to define :^)

A requirements document should state WHAT the system should
do, in an implementation free way.

A design document should state HOW the system is going to
be written so as to meet the requirements stated in the requirements
document. It's much harder to write requirements without slipping
into 'design mode'. Ideally, every requirement in the requirements
document is referenced in the design document (traceability).

However, as indicated by the subject, James didn't claim to
be providing a requirements doc, but a design doc. Admittedly,
it would be easier to evaluate the design if we had requirements
to judge the design against, and for alternative designs to be
proposed an similarly evaluated.