ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Burton" <bi...@progress.com>
Subject Re: Question on builds that fail
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2001 23:20:10 GMT
Hello,

Conor MacNeill wrote:

> I've moved this over from ant-user.
>
> OK, I can see that there is some demand for this behaviour and it does not
> seem unreasonable, especially defaulting to off. I agree with Ken's original
> comment that failing fast is good but there may be occasions where you do
> want to struggle onwards.
>
> Of course, once we add this to javac, the question is why not add it to
> other tasks, say the <ant> task for example. I think that was perhaps the
> thrust of David Bailey's fail fast post. Therefore, perhaps this should be a
> general attribute of all tasks. That would move "proceed" processing into
> the ant core and I'm pretty sure Duncan has expressed an opinion that this
> is a task responsibility.

However, am I assuming correctly there will be a 1.3 release?  If so, it
seems to me that this support should be implemented for only a few tasks
processing part of the base Task.

In any case, I pointed out the following on ant-user:

In general, I like the idea of a "proceed" attribute on the <javac> task.
However, that name is not consistent with the <exec> and <execon> tasks
which use the attribute "failonerror".  In those tasks, the default is
"no" which is the opposite of what you'd want as the default for the
<javac> task.  That's okay but I think it would be better if the attribute
name for continuing after a failure is consistent among all tasks even if
the default value differs.

-Bill Burton