ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <>
Subject RE: Problems with the current bootstrap process
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2001 02:13:46 GMT
At 12:43  30/1/01 +1100, Conor MacNeill wrote:

>> >Huh? If we can't get the version from an embedded properties resource we
>> >won't have much chance to load the task list either.
>> correct.
>So you are saying ant should not use resources. I don't agree.

No I am saying that it should not be required that resources are used.
Especially in cases like this when there is a simple alternative that does
the exact same thing.

>> >Not sure what you mean?
>> If you enable a securityManager then most of the standard java2
>> classloaders make resources unaccesible. You have to overide the functions
>> if you want to change this.
>Why are you thinking about security managers? What issue are you trying to

Same issue I am always interested in - Embedded Ant ;) Besides that I have
also played with using an AntSecurityManager to enable more things to run
in VM.

>> >I think getting version info from a resource is better than
>> embedding it in
>> >code.
>> Why?
>because it is data - not code.

Yes - compile time static data that should be accessible to all components
and should NEVER fail to be loaded. There is a reason that this is a time
houred practice in creating a dll/so files ;) While the argument could be
made that java resources are equivelent to "resources" in a win32 app and
thus acceptable. However resources ala win32 are different as there are
compile time checks that will stop compilation (at least in VC6) if you
screw up the win32-resources mapping.

>because changing it is not backward compatible

true - but the chances of someone actually using this are minimal that I
think it is acceptable.