ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Changes to new build process
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:47:52 GMT
At 12:04  25/1/01 +1100, Conor MacNeill wrote:
>Pete,
>
>I have made a few changes to the new build process.

kewl ;)

>The construct
>    <zip zipfile="${dist.base}/${dist.name}-bin.zip"
>         basedir="${dist.dir}/.."
>         includes="${dist.dir}/**"/>
>would fail for values of "dist.dir" which are not a simple directory.
>Absolute paths and paths containing a / will fail to work as expected.

I am not 100% sure why could you explain. The only thing I can think of is
the include not working - in which case we could replace it with
"${dist.dir}/../**" which should work, no ?

>have moved the building of distribution zips out of dist into a bin-dist
>target, called from the full-dist target. I think that is reasonable.
+1

>There are some remaining issues to think about:
>
>Ant's Exec/Execute code expects ant.home/bin to contain the scripts ant
>uses at runtime to launch external commands. As the bootstrap process no
>longer creates a bin directory, any such tasks used in the ant build (such
>as chmod) may fail. It may work, depending on how far into building it
>happens, but it is a danger, IMHO.

Right - current build.xml *should* be fine but is definetly a risk if in
the future we use exec targets earlier in the build. I guess we should fix
this.

>total-clean does not remove dist directory. Not a big deal

it should ... actually "clean" should do it ;/

>If you do a "build install" and it happens that you need to do a bootstrap,
>the bootstrap will end up calling build.bat and perform an install into "."
>:-(

fixed.

Cheers,

Pete