ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/script ant ant.bat antRun antRun.bat lcp.bat runant.pl
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:26:49 GMT
At 12:10  24/1/01 +1100, Conor MacNeill wrote:
>What is that pain? With the old scripts I have been using junit.jar without
>any problems
>I want to type
>
>build run-tests
>
>and have it run the tests. This doesn't work at the moment.

hmm - will fix this by placing junit in primordial ;(.

fixed.

>> The base build is extremely controlled in what it can
>> acces to avoid miscompiling basically.
>
>Not sure of your point here.

During bootstrapping the classpath is absolutely controlled. No user
interventioned allowed - thus little should stuff it up ;)

>> >The install targets have gone. I used these to promote a build from my
>> >development area into my standard ANT_HOME area. Since I both develop
>and
>> >use ant I want to control over that. In other words ANT_HOME is NOT my
>> >development area. I think being able to install like this is a good
>thing
>> >and is common practice in make based projects (make install, etc)
>>
>> right. The way it should be done now is below and it will install it bu
>> default (minus the docs)
>>
>> build.sh -Ddist.dir=/my/install/dir
>
>This should be, IMHO
>
>build install
>
>This is what it used to be. I don't want to have to remember where I put
>ANT_HOME and have to type it every time. I'm getting old so you need to
>keep things simple for me, Pete.

simple enough to write an alias into ant file then ;) ...done

>If you look at the old build.bat it was implemented by calling bin/ant.bat.
>It was very simple. I did this to reduce the duplication of code between
>build.bat and ant.bat. Your changes mean that build.bat now duplicates a
>large chunk of ant.bat and that is not a good thing, IMHO. If someone makes
>a change in one, they need to remember to change the other.

Right - they had already drifted anyways ;) But I want to replace this with
next stage - basically rip some code out of AntEater to use as boot
strapper. So in the future there will be minimal differences again ;)

>The old build.bat was really about setting up an appropriate value of
>ANT_HOME and the install targets. As a consequence, typing
>
>ant install
>
>would not clobber the currently running version of ant because the install
>target defines were not set.
>

>Anyway, there are some other problems:
>
>build.bat resets the value of ANT_HOME. The old script restored the value.
>I think this is the way to go.

fixed

>Please turn echo back off again :-)

fixed.

>version info seems to have disappeared.

fixed.

>I tried
>build dist -Ddist.dir=%ANT_HOME%
>
>but it blows up with

hmm try updating again. It works for me - what platform? I tested on win32.

Cheers,

Pete