ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant and RPM integration-- Has anyone looked into it?
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:11:59 GMT
At 02:25  22/1/01 -0500, Ariel Partners LLC wrote:
>We at Ariel are testing out both the Ant and RPM tools to help implement an
>automated build and release environment.  The obvious question ensues: what
>about an Ant task to control RPM?

no ones submitted one yet but if you want to then that would be kewl ;)

>Challenges: RPM is written in C.  I don't believe that it is open source.

I don't know if the original was free software but there is definetly free
software replacements.

>RPM is crying out to be rewritten using Java and XML IMHO ;-)

Agreed. Ages ago on ant lists this was talked and recently there has been
discussion about CJAN + JNLP which could do that for java. Thou if
you/someone else wanted to step up it could easily be generalized to
generic packages.

>Have any of the other Ant tasks had to call native code libraries?  Is it
>folly to even
>think about it?  Should it instead be done by punting and calling out to a
>shell task?

shell tasks /executables are easier - Java is kewler ;)

Cheers,

Pete