ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New build process???
Date Sun, 21 Jan 2001 03:43:01 GMT
At 10:05  20/1/01 -0500, Sam Ruby wrote:
>Peter Donald wrote:
>>
>> I would like to change the ant build process so that it is wholely
>> self contained within it's own directories. So instead of going
>> back a directory it would build inside the ant sub-directory.
>
>I was against this until I started this tinderbox experiment of mine.
>Watching two servlet-api's obliterate each other convinced me.

;)

>> Thoughts?
>
>Probably part of your proposal, but just to be clear:
>
>1) build and dist don't exist in cvs.  In fact, the clean target continues
>   to delete these directories.

right.

>2) both build and dist are mentioned in .cvsignore so there is no warning
>   messages on cvs updates, commits, etc.

yep.

Also another thing I forgot to mention is that you could define a property
dist.base which would set the base. This is useful if you did for some
reason want to build ../jakarta/ant or whatever. It is also useful for when
building a dist to be distributed to the public as you can add

"-Ddist.base=jakarta-ant_1.3"

to command line and it would be built in that sub-directory. Then when you
zip it up it would zipped with the correct directory name inside the file.

Cheers,

Pete