ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Ant 2.0 - Frantic: How are properties resolved?
Date Tue, 16 Jan 2001 01:16:31 GMT
At 08:08  15/1/01 -0500, James Cook wrote:
> [...]

What I am saying is that task writers should not have to do a
getProperty()/getAttribute(). All complexity should be on us the engine
writers. So the engine would detect that there is a setFoo() method and
automagically convert the attribute into setFoos() parameter type and then
call setFoo.

>When the program starts, all I have is an object tree. As Tasks get executed
>and nesting levels ensue, I build a property tree that represents the
>runtime structure of the build process. You need two trees because the
>static view (the XML file) does not equal the runtime view. The runtime view
>can jump all over the place in a manner that is not reflected by the task
>hierarchy.

Right - but why do you need to separate the too. Neither of AntEater or
myrmidon separates them - in effect the "runtime" view is throwaway. You
create the object, configure it, execute it and then throw it away. Any
"context" information is past on in variables.

I think we should probably store the execution stack like yours does but I
don't think there is any necessaity to store anything more - or have I
mistaken something ?

Cheers,

Pete