ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Ant 2.0 - Frantic: How are properties resolved?
Date Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:57:09 GMT
At 01:10  15/1/01 -0500, James Cook wrote:
>I require a Task to get its property from the engine. The PropertyDump Task
>illustrates this through the use of the engine.getPropertyValue(name)
>method.

Thats what I thought - I am completely and utterly -1 on this aspect.
Mainly as it becomes so hard to maintain and requires heaps of extra
programming in 90% of the cases. (It is useful in some instances but....)
It should be the containers responsibility rather than components. The
reason is that moves all complexity to us and leaves task writers with a
cake walk ;)

>The HierarchialHashtables are a means of storing property values in a scoped
>manner, but they go ahead and store properties in their ${} form. When the
>property is requested by the Task, it is substituted at that time.

Yep - so you have two object trees - the real object tree and the proxy
object tree ?
Cheers,

Pete