ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A DAG for all occasions
Date Mon, 08 Jan 2001 05:10:10 GMT
At 10:40  7/1/01 -0600, mpfoemme@ThoughtWorks.com wrote:
>I guess I was thinking more of a parse-time expansion of templates (using
>something like XSLT) than a run-time expansion (using ant properties). The
>main reason why the example you gave causes problems is because you've tied
>the template mechanism to the "ant-call" mechanism, which should be two
>separate things IMHO. If you expand all of the templates ahead of time, the
>full DAG can be built up and "target.4" will only be built once.
...snip good stuff...

Okay you convinced me. I have gone back to static templating only approach
;) The main reason I was thinking about dynamic templating was because a
lot of people have asked for it. Thou I don't think it is necessary any
longer ;)

>This should work OK (assuming ant handles the "xml-stylesheet" directive
>correctly).

hey ! good idea ... we could even do it in Ant1.x without breaking
backwards compatability - kinda as a test run to see if it takes. We can
alsways experiment when Ant2.0 gets closer as I assume you will be able to
have pluggable project builders of some sort.

Cheers,

Pete