ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XML support in ant
Date Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:43:31 GMT
At 02:23  6/1/01 +0100, St├ęphane Bailliez wrote:
>Sorry Peter, but I'm not sure that I understand correctly your statement
>here.
>This is certainly a language problem, I apologize for that :-(
>Could you elaborate on why/what it is illegal to use in "many environments"
>(which one ?)
>Are you referring to the crimson in cvs or the one offered in EA by Sun ?

Well there is about 6 files that are owned by sun + the IP which is owned
by sun. They basically put it under EA license. Thus you are not allowed to
distribute the binary or source forms.  So you could not download and use
crimson if you had to distribute the product in any way shape or form.
Technically speaking I suspect lawyers would find CVS as distribution and
thus Apache is doing it illegally but considering a SUn employee and the
head of PMV is aware and condones it I guess that doesn't matter ;)

SO essentially if you use crimson either via apache or  via sun and you
distribute it then you are doing that illegally. For many people this is a
non-issue but for others it could raise concern. So it is up to you ;)

Cheers,

Pete