ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Seen this?
Date Tue, 02 Jan 2001 22:07:54 GMT
At 08:25  2/1/01 -0500, Joshua Davis wrote:

>In the interests of education... Maybe there is some resource that concisely
>describes why the declarative approach can be better in some cases (ANT in
>particular)?  Maybe JDD can add a link to it in his ANT 2.0 proposal?

I have never actually seen it in writing ... sorry. If you are really
interested in it then you may want to ask on some of the xpath lists or
else on xml-database lists. Most DB engineers see xpath as a revert into
darkages (ie procedural data-access) compared to SQL (ie a declarative
data-access). They would be more likely to have reference material. From
what I rmember from language classes basically the advantages are

* declarative tends not to break each iteration even if underlying
procedures for implementing task change
* declarative easier to deal with for non-programmers
* declarative easier for data description rather than process description
etc.

These guidelines break down in a few places (ie lisp) but generally hold.

Cheers,

Pete