ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Seen this?
Date Sat, 30 Dec 2000 02:06:14 GMT
At 08:56  29/12/00 -0500, Jason Rosenberg wrote:
>Number of times it refers to Ant as a scripting language: 8
>
>Yes people, Ant is a scripting language, not some sort of
>pure object oriented data description language.

err ... ahhh ... maybe you should go back to comp-sci 101 as data
description languages are often referred to as scripts ... which would
imply that DDLs are scripting languages.... fancy that ! The difference is
with type os language; declarative vs procedural. We do have some
procedural elements (ant-call) but that will soon become declarative if we
make templating a preprocess or as part of the language.

>Can we start
>acknowledging that, so that we can then augment and improve
>the language in a sensible way?

Perhaps you should try to do just a little bit of research on subject.
There is a lot of details on this matter in archives and a lot of good
reasons why adding procedural logic is an idiotic idea. If you want
procedural logic there is plenty of other tools out there or you are free
to fork ant and do it yourself. There are people who have already provided
procedural elements (selection via case/if) that may help you. However if
you want anyone to actually listen to you it would be good if you tried to
educate yourself.

Cheers,

Pete