ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problem using script task
Date Fri, 29 Dec 2000 13:19:57 GMT
At 07:44  28/12/00 -0500, Jason Rosenberg wrote:
>Ant is a scripting language.  The idea of using a <script> task is a bit
>nonsensical.  Just extend the Ant Scripting language to do the simple
>things we need (there are not too many of these).

ummmmmmmmm .....

Ant is supposed to be a ***declarative*** scripting language. I agree that
the use of ant-call makes it procedural but that is only because we needed
templating but couldn't rearrange the core dramatically to do it at the
time ;) If ant-call was made to be more templatish then ant would return to
being declarative.

What you seem to want is a ***procedural*** language which I am definetly
-1 for a whole bunch of reasons that have been enumerated in the past.

>> Right -- anything that happens in the scope of a task is fair game. Now,
>> whether or not that task is core or optional is a different story. :)
>>

>The fundamental "core" issues are:
>
>    Compound conditonal gating for target execution (if-and-or-not-(nested)).
>    A priori conditional gating prior to unnecessary dependency execution.
>    Direct target execution (not just from a "depends" list, or from an
antcall).
>    Ability to update and change the value of a property several times
during run-time.

perhaps you also want negation, then implication, maybe xor ? ... Guess
what you want perl/make - they already exist - lucky you ;)

personally I don't relish looking at

<target name="foo" condition="a ^ ~(b == (c&d|e^f) ) &d" />

and trying to work out what that means.

>Some fundamental "task" issues are:
>
>    if-then-else
>    switch
>    loop

not a chance of making core. If you want it then create your own tasks.
Look to ant-dev archives for reasoning.

Cheers,

Pete