ant-dev mailing list archives

From j...@socialchange.net.au
Subject Re: sh versus bash
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:35:08 GMT

The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) has this to say:

If /bin/sh is Bash, then /bin/sh should be a symbolic or hard link to
/bin/bash since Bash behaves differently when called as sh or bash.
 pdksh, which may be the /bin/sh on install disks, should likewise be
arranged with /bin/sh being a symlink to /bin/ksh. The use of a
symbolic link in these cases allows users to easily see that /bin/sh
is not a true Bourne shell.

The de-facto standard location of the C-shell is /bin/csh. A C-shell
or equivalent (such as tcsh), if available on the system, should be
 located at /bin/csh. /bin/csh may be a symbolic link to /bin/tcsh or
/usr/bin/tcsh.

  -- http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.1/fhs-3.1.html

HTH,

--Jeff