ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Why do people like copying the source?
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2001 01:29:53 GMT
--- Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> I don't see this as a showstopper item, but it might be educational to
> put this up for a majority vote within the scope of this project.

I'm not really putting a vote in, since I haven't been following this
thread that closely (seemed like those who were, were working it out),
just my own perspective: I always avoid copying (and writing to temp
files) whenever/wherever possible. (I'm currently in the middle of
reworking a bunch of crufty old shell-scripts into Ant, and all they seem
to be doing is copying copying copying... it's enough to make you crazy!)
If you've got some source-files that need filter-copying, you might want
to consider source-controlling a template-file instead, which gets gen'd
into the .java file -- it doesn't eliminate the need for the copy, but at
least the resulting source-file can go into the directory it should be in
to get compiled.

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)