ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Simeon H.K. Fitch" <sim...@fitch.net>
Subject Re: Antidote: Request for Input
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:51:10 GMT
Martin, thanks for your response to my request. See below.

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 05:56:47AM +0100, Martin van den Bemt wrote:
> Isn't is possible to create a wizard based on the tree available in e.g. an
> emptied build xml file.
> The build file (could) contain all the core stuff with just empty parameters
> so take this fragment :
>
>  <target name="init">
>   <property name="srcdir" value="d:\work\cubic\src\"/>
>   <property name="targetdir" value="t:\"/>
>   <echo message="Compiling cubic sources..."/>
>  </target>
>
> <target name="init">
>   <property name="srcdir" value=""/>
>   <property name="targetdir" value=""/>
>   <echo message=""/>
> </target>
> based on this the wizzard will come up with the following screen :
> <init>
> default yes/no
> target name : ______
> sourcedir   : ______
> targetdir   : ______
> message     : ______
> if (something == null && allowed null) don't put it in ;-))

This is a really interesting idea, and is similar (to a degree) to the
DynamicCustomizer class that Antidote uses now for editing nodes in an
existing build file.

The main concern that I have with it for use in a wizard is that this
approach makes the user define values in a very build file centric
manner, and I want to hold the hand of the user's hand a litte more
during the creation of a build file via the wizard. For example, a new
Ant user making use of the wizard may not have any clue as to the
difference between "sourcedir" and "targetdir", nor know what a
"default target" is (or why you would want one). I'm hoping to have a
wizard that allows someone to basically say "I want to build Java" and
have the application do as much work as practicable.

That being said, allowing the use of templates to drive the wizard
process is a great idea, and something I'll have to keep in mind.

> If you want I'll be glad to help, but :

Anything helps!

sim