ant-dev mailing list archives

From Roger Vaughn <rogervau...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: The RIGHT Direction for ANT (was Re: Problem using script task)
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2001 22:29:19 GMT
> Probably the biggest flaw in your argument is to
> have
> lumped together Make and Ant as equivalents.  Ant
> is clearly much easier and much more powerful and
> much more portable than Make.  That's why Ant is
> attractive.  It has little to do with dependency
> tracking.

I have to defend Jerry here - this smacks too much of
the "newer is always better" thought.  Make is better
than Ant - in certain circumstances.  Try building C
programs with Ant and you'll see what I mean.  I will
agree that Ant is far, far better than Make at
building most Java programs.

As for your templating approach, give XSLT a try
instead of scripting.  It's very powerful for this
use, and has the huge advantage of expressing your
build files in only one language - XML.  With XSLT,
you can define new tags for all kinds of things - even
for generating multiple Ant targets, for standard
property init sections, for standard target sets, etc.

roger