ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jason Rosenberg" <ja...@squaretrade.com>
Subject Re: What I did to DefaultLogger.java
Date Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:58:13 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2001 4:39 AM
Subject: Re: What I did to DefaultLogger.java

> Jason Rosenberg <jason@squaretrade.com> wrote:
>
> > >= would not be what I want.
>
> I know, and others seem to have similar needs, see Pete's
> NoBannerLogger in current CVS.
>
> If you need > instead of >= why not use this logger and keep the
> default logger as it is - I know this may be inconvenient but the way
> the logger works right now seems to be appropriate for most people, or
> we would have had more complaints.

Well, I am just trying to improve on what the default behavior
should be.  I would argue that the default behavior should not
be a debugging/trace oriented type of output.  Spitting out the
name of each target traversed in a dependency graphs is not
really default behavior, it is -debug or -trace behavior.  I wouldn't
complain too much if it were part of -verbose behavior.

But at the very least, it should not be part of the default behavior.

Having to specify a -logger command line argument is not
the right way to go about it, in my view.  -logger would be
more appropriate when you need some special functionality,
such as when you are trying to debug things or trace things,
etc.

Just do it in the default case...

Jason