ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject documentation (and a RESUBMIT)
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:22:29 GMT
Sam is right -we do need to think about documentation better.

I am resubmitting my document on how to use ant in a production system; I
hope it can be a ) committed and b) expanded on by people doing more complex
builds than me. Details on how to use XSLT with could be a special chapter
perhaps.

Other documentations areas we could think about are

-a simple tutorial, starting with a <javac> task, going through properties,
deployment, debug and release options, junit, filemaps etc, the focus being
on telling people facts in the the order they need to get a java project
done.

-a better guide to implementing ant tasks. Something that covers matching
tasks, java forking, setting timestamps, exception handling, external
process invocation, how to do parameters (filesets, enums etc) . Oh and
testing too.

I started on a tutorial last week, and unless someone has a better one ready
to commit I will keep going with it in my sparest of times. Does anyone want
to take up the challenge of writing the definitive guide to implementing an
ant task?

-Stve