ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant IntrospectionHelper.java
Date Sat, 20 Jan 2001 14:07:05 GMT
From: "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org>

> I am not sure I completely like this.
> [snip]
> I don't think I see this as a desirable quality (at least in the normal
> case).

Pete, you need to be more definitive :-)

> If the tasks are free to optionally support things then it can allow
> the task writer to get away with things that are plain wrong and painful
> for the user. Can you give an example of when it would *good* to allow
> tasks to do this ?

Exactly the example, I gave, where a task supports some form of plug-in
concept. In that case, it would be good to have the nested elements be data
driven, rather than having to code each createXXX method. You are probably
right, the benfits are limited, and it may be open to abuse, so I have
given it the flick :-).

Conor