ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jason Rosenberg" <ja...@squaretrade.com>
Subject Re: Need if/unless features
Date Sun, 07 Jan 2001 05:11:59 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Duncan Davidson" <duncan@x180.net>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2001 5:09 PM
Subject: Re: Need if/unless features

> On 12/29/00 4:36 AM, "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Agreed - this is a problem ant2.0 will address hopefully. Many people have
> > asked for it in one way or another ... What I suggest is something like
> >
> > <target name="t1" depends="t2"/>
> > <target name="t2" if="execute.t2"/>
> >
> > <target name="t1" if="execute.t1">
> > <ant-call target="t1"/>
> > </target>
> >
> > It is not efficient or pretty but it does work ;)
>
> Um, do you really mean to define the same target twice? That doesn't flow
> very well.
>
> The way that I think it should be solved is via a "execute-target" task.
>
> <target name="main">
>    <execute-target name="foo" if="property.foo"/>
> </target>
>
> <target name="foo" depends="bar, bap">..</target>
>
> Having it as just a task means that nothing else gets done unless the
> property is set to 1 or true.

The <execute-target> task is good, probably the most succinct way to
solve a lot of different requests/problems.  It should be augmented, however,
with "else", "or", "and", "not" functionality.

It would certainly be a benefit, though, above the current <antcall> task,
which has the shortcoming that it behaves as a new project, for which
any newly set properties that get set don't persist once the antcall task
is completed....

Jason