ant-dev mailing list archives

From St├ęphane Bailliez <baill...@cybercable.fr>
Subject Re: XML support in ant
Date Sun, 07 Jan 2001 01:11:23 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org>

>Well there is about 6 files that are owned by sun + the IP which is owned
>by sun. They basically put it under EA license. Thus you are not allowed to
>distribute the binary or source forms.  So you could not download and use
>crimson if you had to distribute the product in any way shape or form.
>Technically speaking I suspect lawyers would find CVS as distribution and
>thus Apache is doing it illegally but considering a SUn employee and the
>head of PMV is aware and condones it I guess that doesn't matter ;)

To me the Sun license was like to protect themselves of any 'problems'. I
mean if it is not final and that it is offered via Sun site, they just don't
want people to complain 'Hey YOUR thing is not working !', which is somewhat
normal I would say.

>SO essentially if you use crimson either via apache or  via sun and you
>distribute it then you are doing that illegally. For many people this is a
>non-issue but for others it could raise concern. So it is up to you ;)

Actually this is somewhat of an issue for me professionally speaking.
I just hope that the final will be released before Q2.

Thanks for all these details.

--
Stephane Bailliez, Paris - France