ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cognet.com.au>
Subject Re: -quiet mode, annoying output....
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2001 09:50:41 GMT

> >I think we were talking about build file changes. Changing the operation
> >of -quiet would not be a problem, IMHO.
>
> I am reluctent to make any changes to structure of output because I know
> that there is at least two houses I know of who run perl scripts over the
> output. I HATE perl and I guess I could convince them to move to the
> XMLLogger or whatever ;) but I assume that this is not a isolated case -
> does any one else know houses who do post-processing on output ?

OK, I understand your point. And yet, I wonder if output format is part of
Ant's "contract". Backward compatibility of the build file - yes indeed, Of
the output format - I'm not sure it should be. Not that I am suggesting we
change things just for the hell of it. Anyway, as Ant's output is to some
extent derived from the output of its component tasks, we can't even
control it fully. For example, I am pretty sure the format of error
messages changed in javac between JDK 1.2 and 1.3