ant-dev mailing list archives

From St├ęphane Bailliez <sbaill...@imediation.com>
Subject Re: XML support in ant
Date Sat, 06 Jan 2001 03:26:04 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Sam Ruby" <rubys@us.ibm.com>

>St├ęphane Bailliez wrote:
>>
>> - importing nodes from one document to another. changeNodeOwner
>> is com.sun.xml only and importNode is DOM L2.
>> Workaround: Write the nth importNode for DOM L1.

>My recommendation is to go with DOM L2.  I believe that there is a Crimson
>version in early access release that supports DOM L2.

Crimson version in early access release reveals up JIT bugs in JDK1.2.2 (the
.jar were possibly compiled with JDK1.3 and there's probably some bytecode
incompatibility that show up). It runs well with JDK 1.3. Plus, the packages
(crimson and jaxp) are sealed which totally forbid you to mix them with
other implementations. I guess it could be problematic right now for task
homogeneity.

And if I remember well, Sun license in Eearly Access does not allow you to
redistribute them...even though the sources are under Apache license. I
think you might get out of this license problem by simply recompiling the
sources and have your own jars.

>> - XML serialization (at least a DOMWriter). Xerces provides such
>> as support as well as crimson.
>> Workaround: Write the nth DOMWriter.

>I have no good suggestion here.  Rumor has it that this will be fixed in
>DOM L3...

We have time until DOM L3..DOM L1 is still not out of the way... :-(

>Since the licenses for both Crimson and Xerces are compatible with the
>license for Ant, you could simply include your favorite DOMWriter with your
>task for now.  I'd recommend renaming it (at least the package part to
>avoid conflicts).

I did the coding of my own DOMWriter since my original post...this was as a
temporary solution, will see...

--
Stephane Bailliez, Paris - France