ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Nico Seessle" <Nico.Sees...@epost.de>
Subject Re: long command lines from execon with parallel=true
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:44:41 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 10:10 AM
Subject: Re: long command lines from execon with parallel=true

> Mariusz Nowostawski <mariusz@marni.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
>
> > Limiting a length is such an artificial and OS-dependent-only thing,
> > that I would rather not make it a parameter of a build target, but
> > place it (i.e. hardcode it) inside the execon implementation for a
> > particular OS.
>
> No. This could cause a whole bunch of new problems.

You forgot to mention that there is an "unlimited" number of different
platforms out there with some systems where it's possible to modifiy these
limits (At least I would think that you could modifiy this for example for
Linux). We would end up with an rather large decision-tree about what length
is suitable (and then there is windows where this behaviour is different
dependent on if you change your working directrory, but only if JDK <
1.3...).

We had the same discussion for javac (external compilers) and there it ended
with hard-coding the minimum inside the source, but *only* because
1. we knew what executables are run and what they support and
2. they are not called more than once, but are handed over an ascii-file
which contains all the files they should work on. (using @filelist-syntax)

Nico