ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Rosen, Alex" <aro...@silverstream.com>
Subject RE: JLink vs. Jar
Date Tue, 02 Jan 2001 16:33:49 GMT
I agree. We were thinking about adding similar functionality. It's confusing to
have both <jar> and <jlink> tasks that do similar but different things - I
agree that the <jlink> functionality should be moved into <jar>. Stefan seemed
to disagree though:

Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@bost.de> 2000-09-11:
> We shouldn't try to duplicate
> this functionality (adding files to existing .jar files for example)
> in <jar> IMHO. Let's keep <jar> the simple solution that fits most
> situations and point people to <jlink> in the more difficult ones.

To me, this is confusing, and it also presents problems if people want to use
different features at once. E.g. what if you want to use the <war> task but
also want the merging capabilities of <jlink>? And maybe some other feature of
another <jar> derivative in the future? You can't do that unless the common
functionality is in the base <jar> task. Stefan, what do you think?

On the other hand, you do have the problem of how exactly to combine these
pieces of functionality. E.g the <jar> task now can have <prefixedfileset>
children, which are just like <filesets> except that then can specify where in
the target JAR the files should go. (Kind of the complement of your <jarfilter>
functionality.) The question is, can I suck out the contents of a JAR file with
<jarfilter> and place them in a particular subdirectory of the target JAR? If
so, do we need <fileset> <prefixedfileset> <jarfilter> and <prefixedjarfilter>?
The list could expand exponentially. That's why I preferred having just
<fileset>, which would have the special property that it can have certain extra
attributes in certain cases. Then, you could just use <fileset
sourcejar="blah.jar" prefix="web-inf/classes" />.

On a different note, the doc says that "jlink ignores META-INF directories in
mergefiles. Users should supply their own manifest information for the output
file." How do your changes handle this? Should we leave it up to the user to
exclude META-INF, or will this be error-prone? Do we need something ugly like
exclude-meta-inf="false"?

Alex