ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Nico Seessle" <Nico.Sees...@epost.de>
Subject Re: New core functionality
Date Sun, 21 Jan 2001 10:06:34 GMT

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Larry Sanderson
  To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
  Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2001 12:13 AM
  Subject: New core functionality

  Hello,

  I have modified ant for our corporate use, and I thought some of you may be interested in
the additions / changes:

  1) I modified the Ant task to accept a nested "antpath" element.  This is a standard path
element that defines a list of sub-tasks to execute.  We use it to glob large nested builds.
 (Note: this task remains completely backward compatible)

  ex:
  <ant>
    <antpath>
      <fileset dir="." includes="*/**/build.xml" />
    </antpath>
  </ant>
Isn't that an foreach-loop :-) Isn't execution order a problem for you? maybe ant get's them
in the "right" order now, but what happens if Sun (or the Ant-team) changes the order files
are listed/processed?
  3) I modified Main to accept only one task at a time.  All additional arguments are translated
into user-properties. (This one is NOT backward compatible)

  ex.
  when you run:  ant foo bar dee

  only the target, "foo", is run, but there are two additional user properties available:
arg1="bar", arg2="dee".
You could accomplish the same by modifying ant.bat (or create your own build.bat). So I don't
think we should change this inside ant if we pay with less "features" (possibilities). It's
more common to let a buildfile do "this" and "that" and sometimes only "that" because "this"
needs not to be done than to have properties named arg1, ..., arg9, ...arg?.

Nico