ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Rosen, Alex" <aro...@silverstream.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Class dependency checking for optional tasks
Date Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:20:13 GMT
> This is what CJAN is supposed to do. Apparently details of it were
> discussed before the PMC meeting so hopefully we will see it
> being worked on soon. Feel free to jump into it thou ;)

When this auto-update discussion last came up, I forwarded this thread to Rene
Schmidt, the JNLP / Java Web Start guy, and he said:

>Thanks for pointing this out. I definitely think that this kind of stuff
>could be done using JNLP. We just need a command-line like launcher.
>I will talk to James about it.

... where James is presumably JDD.

It does seem like this feature is just a variation on JNLP. To me this sounds
like a library taken from part of the Java Web Start implementation, that has
no GUI, or an optional GUI or something. You'd also need a mode where it would
never throw anything away from its JAR cache, since this feature would be
geared more toward standalone apps than "web-like" apps that are always
connected to the Internet.

--Alex