ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Bucanek <subscri...@gloaming.com>
Subject Multi-target builds
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2000 19:45:17 GMT
Greetings,

I posted this to ant-user, but thought that there might be a
'developer' solution to this.

It appears that Ant only builds one target at a time.  So when
building multiple targets, Ant builds each target successively.  The
result being that any common targets are executed multiple times.

I've found a hack around this:

     <target name="init" unless="init.complete">
         <echo message="init executing..."/>
         <tstamp/>
         <property name="init.complete" value="true"/>
     </target>

But I don't like it.

So, is there some other way of either (a) keeping targets/tasks from
running more than once or (b) building the entire tree of targets to
be built in one pass?

On a more general note, I'm really surprised that Ant seems to have
no concept of an up-to-date target, or up-to-date source files.  Make
really only does one thing: determine which set of files are out of
date and executes commands to bring them up-to-date.

Ant, on the other hand, bills itself as a replacement for make but
seems to leave this dependency checking entirely in the hands of the
individual tasks.  Am I missing something here, or does this seem
like an obvious use pattern that should be somehow integrated with
Ant (even if it's only a set of utility classes for use by tasks)?

Thanks,

James Bucanek
<mailto:privatereply@gloaming.com>