ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [MEETING] January 12th. SF Bay.
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2000 10:04:49 GMT

>From what I can tell in point form it is;

great list Pete.

Things missing on the non-controversial list

* support for a multitude of different front ends, ranging from
command line over GUI to Servlets and whatever.

> * move to anakia/stylebook for docs

I'd make that "move to a system of docs that allows them to be
autogenerated from snippets scattered with the task". And move the
decision about which tool and DTD to use to the undecided
area.

The "controversial" area:

> * make it possible to reuse taskengine for other
>   things. ie Installshield type app, my cron-server and other task
>   based operations.

if it doesn't get too much influence on Ant's core, yes. This should
not be a primary goal for Ant2 IMHO.

> * provide support for non-hardwired (ie loadable) datatypes.

Unless somebody wants to remove data types at all (I'd be strongly -1
to such a move), making them loadable is the logical consequence of
having data types. Task writers should be able to define data types
for their tasks as well.

> * provide datatypes through property tag and remove need for seperate
>   free standing entities.

+1

* provide support for user defined default task configurations,
  something like

<taskconfig task="javac">
  <attribute name="debug" value="true" />
  <implementation name="jikes" />
</taskconfig>

I'd prefer something like this over full CSS stuff.

* allow properties to be overwritten in subprojects

Stefan