ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Anteater... I'm Baaaack...
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2000 07:44:49 GMT
James Cook <jimcook@iname.com> wrote:

>> W3C DOM will never get into core. Waaaaaay to[sic] much overhead.
>
> Is this already a done deal? I don't have voting priveleges, but has
> this been voted down before?

Ant used DOM while building the object tre at one point but was then
converted to use SAX directly. See this as a vote against using DOM
8-).

What we have been talking about is that you should be able to build
projects from a stream of SAX events for example. Given that many of
the tools you've described know how to convert a DOM tree into SAX
events this wouldn't be a big limitation.

Representing a Task as a DOM Node - i.e. using DOM as the object model
of Ant has been ruled out for various reasons. The DOM API forces you
to implement a big interface we don't need IMHO.

Stefan