ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] jar distribution system
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2000 10:54:23 GMT
Conor MacNeill <> wrote:

> I don't think the "available" approach is going to work. It relies
> on the classes being in the classpath, but version conflict is one
> of the problems cjan seeks to address. I think it is going to need a
> repository in which it tracks information about what products and
> (potentially conflicting) versions have been installed.

Well, the "available" approach could use a custom classloader that
contains those jars.

I'm still not sure that having a repository will work out that well,
you'd need two repositories at least, one for things installed for the
whole system and one for the things a user has installed in his/her
private workspace. I'm less concerned with companies - here the system
administrators should be willing to install everything the developers
need - but with universities and similiar organizations.

And then you'd need a way to tell CJAN to add something to the
repository that has allready been there before CJAN came into the

> 1. To what type of user is cjan aimed? Is it
> a) the CVS developer,
> b) the source distribution user,
> c) the binary distribution user

guess it's all of them - unless you want to end up holding required
JARs within CVS or ship them with distributions.

> 2. How pervasive/invasive should cjan become? Can it be a
> requirement for a product to launch?

Too launch or to build? I think Jose Alberto's distinction is
important. But I can imagine you'd require it for both, just not from
the start, let CJAN grow.

> 3. What are the goals - simple automated downloads of support jars
> for a single product - no attempt to worry about managing the
> mismatch of versions across a system. Or should it be a package
> management system which reports, or even tries to resolve, version
> conflicts?

My take would be: all of them, one after the other.

View raw message