ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant 2.0 Consideration
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2000 15:57:19 GMT
James Cook <jimcook@iname.com> wrote:

> I'm not trying to determine if a Task will actually *do* something
> with a file when executed. I am trying to determine if a file is
> within the scope of a current task.

Ohh, much clearer now, thanks. So it'd basically boil down to pattern
matching without any disk access. Should be easy.

> I'm not trying to work on execution of build targets here. I am
> focusing on the construction of a build script and an IDE's ability
> to enlist (or de-enlist) a particular file in a Task.

OK, I see. Excluding would be very easy right now, including is
another issue as this could force you to replace an exclude wildcard
pattern by a long list of exclude patterns for single files.

<copy>
  <fileset>
    <exclude name="**/*.java" />
  </fileset>
</copy>

had to be translated into <exclude> for all .java files except one if
you wanted to add one.

I guess build files created with an IDE would not have any wildcards
then - they'd be very ugly, difficult to read and more or less
unusable outside the IDE - which more or less fits my picture of
building projects with an IDE anyway. 8-)

What you'd need then, is a way for FileSet to tell you whether a given
file was in the scope of that set - should not be that big a deal.

Stefan