ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How does the Javac task know where jdk/jikes is?
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2000 09:26:02 GMT
Myles Jeffery <mjeffery@lehman.COM> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How do I tell the javac task where the javac.exe of jikes.exe
> compilers are located?

Talking about Jikes, Ant expects it to be in the PATH, same holds true
for Microsoft's jvc. It doesn't use javac.exe at all but calls the
compiler classes directly.

Right at the moment <javac> will always use the javac implementation
that matches the VM Ant is running in - and I doubt it would work if
you'd try to invoke the javac implementation of JDK 1.1 when running
in JDK 1.2.

When you set build.compiler to jikes, it will include the rt.jar or
classes.zip for the current JVM as well - this is determined by
setting the environment variable JAVA_HOME BTW - there are some
situations where this is not what you want and this might be changed
in the next release.

Stefan