ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Expansion in includes
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2000 08:29:57 GMT
James Duncan Davidson <duncan@x180.net> wrote:

> On 12/6/00 10:47 PM, "Conor MacNeill" <conor@ebinteractive.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> Well we have been debating whether that will continue to be true
>> :-)
>
> I'm -1 on typing them.

The debate was not about typing properties but about unifying
properties with the data types you can use by refid attributes right
now. I think they should live in the same namespace, <property>
defining the string version of the data types and ${} invoking the
toString() method.

> And since they are hashed and properties that have refs to other
> properties ought to be resolved at reflection time, there there
> isn't a problem with ordering

And once they get resolved at reflection time, we don't need to keep
the current behavior - right now we cannot get around it.

> In a typical build, I may have dozens of properties that are
> perfectly ok to leave empty.

Never had something like this myself, when do you use properties that
might be set or might not be set?

Personally I agree with Conor that throwing an exception would be the
cleanest solution - it's just not feasible right now. If we find
something that looks like a reference to a property but cannot find
that property, it's most likely a typo IMHO.

Stefan