ant-dev mailing list archives

From Mariusz Nowostawski <mari...@marni.otago.ac.nz>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Optional Tasks
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2000 00:20:18 GMT
> > Also, central place can make integration of particular tasks, for example
> > parser generation, into a single task possible.
>
> You are stating things in a way as if you see something that is broken that
> you can't fix. Think in terms of doing things properly.

;o) right, my fault. But sometimes, not having enough time/power/resources
makes the latter much easier and faster and simpler to achieve.

> We should build functionality into Ant that makes integration of optional
> tasks as easy as downloading a .jar file from a website and placing it into
> a directory.
>
> I believe that what James is doing with Ant 2.0 allows for this.

Agreed. I think only tasks from non-open source projects, and
projects where it is difficult to get the original project to make ant
task available should go to the central repository then.
And
> > Also, central place can make integration of particular tasks, for
> > example parser generation, into a single task possible.
is still true. I would imagine javacc task which does not rely during
compile time on metamata/antlr/sablecc/other compilercompiler at all.
That would be good example of centrally managed task. Similar model could
be used for example for jidl, ejb, and other tasks which provide
common functionality being implemented in tool specific manner (not sure
how it is eventually solved in ant currently, seems like not solved at
all).

I like tasks being modular, even jar per task. As long as I do not have to
do anything else but place the jar in a proper place. And one optional.jar
for all centrally managed tasks ;o)
`
> > I like the idea that task contributors could automatically get added as
> > developers, and could maintain their own tasks. Maybe SourceForge is the
> > good place for it. Developers of optional tasks could maintain a webpage
> > with the list of all of them, and jakarta-ant would simply point to it.
> > This model really makes jakarta-ant resource not coupled with all the
> > optional stuff, and jakarta-ant commiters do not need to do a thing for
> > all these optional stuff. They could put a link to prebuild binary of
> > optional.jar as well.
>
> Bingo.

Do you have already a SourceForge project for all your optional tasks
which could serve as a project for all centrally managed optional tasks,
Jon?  If not, what name do you guys suggest, I can register it straight
away. We could put all optional tasks from current ANT there, and evlove
to the new ANT model once it is ready (seems to me like lots of talking
before ANT 2 model will eventually happen ;o)
And tool specific tasks which can go to their parent project would migrate
from this central repository to external projects over time, and once the
modular task architecture is in place.

cheers
Mariusz