ant-dev mailing list archives

From Barrie Treloar <Barrie.Trel...@camtech.com.au>
Subject Re: Automagic handling of DataType References
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2000 22:46:42 GMT
On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Peter Donald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was thinking it may be a good idea to have some special case code to
> handle references. In virtually all cases any datatype
> (patternset/fileset/filterset) can be referenced by something-like
>
> <mydatatype refid="myid" />
>
> I was thinking that we could formalize it so that it was instead
>
> <mydatatype-ref refid="myid"/>
>
> When we see the -ref extention we know that it is a reference. In which
> case we look up refid attribute. So we look up object referred to by
> "myid". We then try to add it via the standard method "void addMydatatype(
> final SomeType value );" minus the -ref extention. This would mean that
> effectively any sub-element could be replaced by reference without
> complicating either enduser or tasklet developers job.
>
> What do you think ?

The problem with all this is that we are heading towards a programming
language that has value and references.

Which for datatype I think every agrees we need to be able to do.

I know I asked why add the -ref extension when the attribute
speciallizes the tag to provide the same semantics.  All it does is
add another tag that needs to be remembered.  If you want to refer to
an existing named datatype then the refid attribute is good enough.

Barrie
--
Barrie Treloar

  Barrie Treloar                      Phone: +61 8 8303 3300
  Senior Analyst/Programmer           Fax:   +61 8 8303 4403
  Electronic Commerce Division        Email: barrie@camtech.com.au
  Camtech (SA) Pty Ltd                http://www.camtech.com.au
 --- Level 8, 10 Pulteney Street, Adelaide SA 5000, Australia. ---