ant-dev mailing list archives

From Barrie Treloar <Barrie.Trel...@camtech.com.au>
Subject Re: [Proposal] myrmidon
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2000 21:47:36 GMT
On 5 Dec 2000, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> Being so tightly integrated with Avalon has both, pros and cons. The
> learning curve for new developers will be a lot steeper (so much for
> the cons), on the other hand I'm impressed by the amount of
> functionality of Avalon that can be reused - why reinventing the
> wheel?

Avalon's documentation is a bit thin.  But its not too steep a
learning curve.  I picked up enough to put together some Components
and manage their life cycles in under a week.

I have not looked at the code but I would assume that most of Avalon
is hidden beneath the covers and only people wanting to extend the
core would need to know Avalon.  Those people wanting to write new
tasks may need to know some of the "edges" of Avalon that are needed
to be a proper tasklet citizen but in general you only need to know
the ant core api's.

Pete can correct me if I'm wrong.

Barrie
--
Barrie Treloar

  Barrie Treloar                      Phone: +61 8 8303 3300
  Senior Analyst/Programmer           Fax:   +61 8 8303 4403
  Electronic Commerce Division        Email: barrie@camtech.com.au
  Camtech (SA) Pty Ltd                http://www.camtech.com.au
 --- Level 8, 10 Pulteney Street, Adelaide SA 5000, Australia. ---