ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: build.classpath and tinderbox builds
Date Wed, 27 Dec 2000 21:25:51 GMT
Jon Stevens wrote:

> -1. Ant is a build tool, not a tinderbox tool. I think we
> should keep them separate.

I, too, think that they are separate, but what I am building is much more
than a tinderbox tool.  Specify the specific versions of the various
projects you want in your workspace, and your configuration will be made to
your precise specifications.  You are also left with two batch files /
shell scripts that can be used to update and build any or all of the
projects at any time.  Syntax:

   update ( all | project... )

   build ( all | project [target...] )

In short, I plan to use it they way I used to use the various
build.bat/build.sh scripts that are associated with the various projects.

> Therefore, I think you should make a name for your tinderbox
> tool (if there isn't one already) and propose it to the PMC
> as a new Jakarta project. I would be very +1 on that.

I don't know if this is relevant, but there isn't any Java content in the
project itself at the moment.  I've also avoided an product specific XSL
extensions.  This being said, this code was designed to target Jakarta and
related projects.

- Sam Ruby