ant-dev mailing list archives

From d...@multitask.com.au
Subject Re: Optional tasks
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2000 04:22:40 GMT
I know this is an old one, but how about a contrib.jar file which is all
the third party optional tasks.

That way, core ant stays small, the downloads stay small and people after
optional third party tasks have a place to contribute and have them
distributed.

I personally find it makes ant easier to adopt if it comes with 'plugins'
for a lot of the tools I use.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

                                                                 (Embedd
                                                                   ed
                                                                  image
                                                                  moved
                                                                  file:
                                                                 pic0004
                                                                 1.pcx)

  Submitted by   Category                     .                   Public

 Peter Donald  ant-dev@jakar
 <donaldp@apac ta.apache.org
 he.org>
 on 06/12/2000
 at 12:34 PM

                                            (Embedded image
                                            moved to file:
                                            pic18467.pcx)

Re: [submit] optional task for Poet ptjavac compiler/enhancer

At 11:41  5/12/00 -0800, Jon Stevens wrote:
>on 12/5/2000 10:08 AM, "Craig Kelley" <ckelley@HotPOP.com> wrote:
>
>> Attached is an optional task that is a subclass (with too much cut and
>> paste ;-) of the Javac task to run the Poet ptjavac external compiler to
>> compile Java code and enhance it for use with the Poet object oriented
>> database (OODB).
>>
>> To use the task you must have Poet (of course) with the appropriate Poet
>> jars included in your classpath, and the ptjavac compiler executable in
>> your path. Since ptjavac actually uses the Sun compiler classes in some
>> way, you also have to have the appropriate JDK jars in your classpath.
>>
>> The usage is pretty much like the Sun javac compiler with a couple of
>> extra arguments to tell Poet where its configuration file is and what to
>> do with the schema.
>>
>> -- Craig
>
>I have a question:
>
>Why are people submitting every task under the Sun to be included with
Ant?
>What is wrong with simply including your Poet task with Poet and leaving
it
>at that?

Initially it was because Ant 1.1 didn't play nice and was slightly painful
to load other tasks. It was kept up so as not to change policy till Ant2
thou. I think in Ant2 there will only be a smallish set of core tasks and
the rest will mainly be provided in appropriate place. ie junit will be got
in junit.jar etc.

Cheers,

Pete

              Previous Document (Embe (Embe Next Document
                                dded   dded
                                image image
                                moved moved
                                to       to