ant-dev mailing list archives

From Shane_Curc...@lotus.com
Subject Re: AW: Ant 2 -> JDK 1.2
Date Sat, 09 Dec 2000 17:53:31 GMT
I'll put in my:
-1
vote on getting rid of JDK 1.1.x compatibility for using Ant.  As
Christoph.Wilhelms@tui.de mentioned, there still are lots of projects and
companies and users who are still required to use JDK 1.1.x.  Yes,
technologically, many of them could be upgraded to 1.2+ - but many of them
are still not ready to do that.

Note that for bootstrapping *only*, I'd vote
-0
for getting rid of JDK 1.1.x compatibility, if that makes any difference.
I could see the argument where anyone needing to build Ant itself before
using it might reasonably have JDK 1.2, as long as using a precompiled Ant
works normally on 1.1.x.  I imagine many users don't need the
bootstrapping, they just pick up a shipped build and go.

Also, I'd think this kind of suggestion would really need to get floated
around on ant-user as well.

>> This will make ant (or the bootstrap, at least) not compatible with 1.1,
>> believe. Is that going to be part of Ant 2's charter?
>>
>> Conor
>
>+1. I'm tired of supporting JDK 1.1.x. There are now 1.2 JVM's on nearly
>ever major platform.
>
>We have removed support for 1.1.x in Turbine and haven't heard a single
>complaint.

- Shane - Xalan Test/Build