ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Stirling" <sstirl...@mediaone.net>
Subject RE: Did somebody say Shut up and Write? :)
Date Sun, 31 Dec 2000 07:04:28 GMT
Check out Orion app server's update utility and procedure.  From a user
perspective, it's awesome:

java -jar autoupdate.jar

There's a config file for it (in case you need to wok around a firewall or
something) and maybe some command line options, but it's always worked for
me "out of the box."  When you run it, it sends a request to the Orion web
site, checks for a newer "released" jar for the core server, and, if there
is one, downloads it and a changes.txt file.

If you built this capability into Ant, it should be as easy as (for
example):

java -jar ant.jar -update

But I don't see any bang for going any further than that.  Otherwise one
might as well write a general purpose Java app that checks CVS for new code,
or uses JNLP to get new "released versions" of code.

Actually, I guess it's a non-Ant problem, more of a generic problem having
to do with keeping software up-to-date.

Scott Stirling
West Newton, MA