ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Joshua Davis" <jsd2...@bellatlantic.net>
Subject RE: Did somebody say Shut up and Write? :)
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2000 14:48:54 GMT
I read the doc, it's a great start.  Here's my "2 cents":

1. I agree with Peter about the 'set' feature:
a) The abstraction of fileset and patternset doesn't seem to  provide any
new functionality or extensibility.  Maybe if sets were even more abstract
and worked like tasks (i.e. plug in your own 'set' class... woo-hoo!)?
Still, although the description is clear in the document, the potential uses
are not.  What is the 'problem' with the existing 'fileset' and 'patternset'
features that  needs to be solved?

b) Java types!?? Yuk, indeed!  It seems fitting that ANT would know more
about Java than other languages, but this might be a bit extreme for those
non-Java folks using ANT (there are some of these, right?).

2. The proposal should contain a statement regarding upward compatibility
with previous versions.

3. Logging is important.  E-mail and newsgroup build notification is
commonplace.  HTML error and status reports would also be very nice,
although the 'front end' Servlet might be the place to do this.

4. Also in agreement with Peter: If the 'property in a task' capability is
removed, it should be replaced by something else.

5. Any 'implicit' behavior should be well documented (justified).  The doc
isn't entirely clear on why searching for modules implicitly is a good idea.

Okay, that was a nickel.

BTW, newbie question... what's CJAN?

Joshua Davis
Software Architect
Metiom, Inc.
http://www.metiom.com
joshua_davis@mindspring.com <mailto:joshua_davis@mindspring.com>

Intrinsic behavior is very... 'make-like'. ;->