ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@ebinteractive.com.au>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Optional Tasks
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2000 01:02:09 GMT

I am cool with this idea. Maybe we can call the project "antlibs" :-)

One thing which I would like some thought on is the situation where we have
a task which defines an "interface" and for which there may be many
implementations. A current example would be the <ejbjar> task which really
defines an interface into which specific EJB deployment tools can be plugged
in (as nested elements).

Another candidate is the <javac> task itself. The current mess of supporting
many compiler variations is not really nice. I would like to see a mechanism
where different compilers could be plugged in. In fact such a system would
allow the Jikes implementation to be moved out of the core and into the
Jikes project.

In summary, I think there are cases where it would be nice to define a
common "interface" for a task and allow different implementations for this
task. I don't want to lose sight of that unified approach because the
optional tasks are scattered over the net.

Cheers
Conor