ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@ebinteractive.com.au>
Subject RE: A Users Experience
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2000 02:20:42 GMT

What assumptions?

> give me a little time ;)
> It is perfectly doable in *nix but the problem is that win32 scripting
> leaves a little to be desired. It doesn't even have a basic command like
> "dirname" ! arg. There are two basic solutions I have come to see. We can
> bootstrap using an old version of ant or we can write native code
> (yuck!).
>
> I remember a while back bootstrapping from an old ant was -1'ed
> but is that
> still considered a bad thing? What it would involve doing is the
> following.
> Changing destination of jars/scripts/whatever to another directory
>
> ie
> dist/bin/*
> dist/lib/ant.jar
>
> It would also simplify build process and allow inclusion/exclusion of
> libraries  so you could magically include correct versions of
> junit/whatever.
>
> Would anyone hate this?

Yes. -1. If you need ant to build ant, then it is not a bootstrap. Will we
include an ant.jar in ant CVS to build ant. Ugh.

> I know it involves another jar in CVS but this
> shouldn't be an issue as it will never be seen outside the ant build
> process and thus will not effect any other thing using ant or being
> developed with ant.

Will you be adding bsf.jar, xalan.jar, regexp.jar, jakarata-oro.jar,
netcomponents.jar, etc, etc.

Hey, soon you'll only need to download/checkout ant as it will include every
other open source tool around too.